This trendy menu item featuring premium beef, sweet and savoury chili paste and toasted sesame seeds, offers an authentic dining experience for foodies looking for ethnically inspired flavours.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
|1 cup (250 mL/7 oz)||Brown sugar|
|1 cup (250 mL/9 oz)||Soy sauce|
|1/2 cup (125 mL/4 oz)||Gochujang paste|
|2 tbsp (30 mL/0.6 oz)||Sesame oil|
|1/4 cup (60 mL/2 oz)||Vegetable oil, divided|
|3 lb (1.5 kg)||Carve AAA Top Sirloin Butt, thinly sliced|
|12||Garlic cloves, minced|
|1/4 cup (60 mL/2 oz)||Fresh ginger, minced|
|3/4 cup (175 mL/6 oz)||Vegetable oil, divided|
|12 cups (4 L/ 5 lb 2 oz)||Cooked white rice|
|3 cups (750 mL/7.5 oz)||Julienned carrots|
|1 1/2 cups (375 mL/4 oz)||Thinly sliced green onions|
|1/4 cup (60 mL/1 oz)||Toasted sesame seeds|
- Whisk together brown sugar, soy sauce, gochujang and sesame oil; set aside. Heat some vegetable oil in a large skillet and set to medium-high heat. Cook beef, in batches, adding vegetable oil as needed, for about 5 minutes or until browned and almost cooked through. Transfer to shallow hotel pan.
- Return skillet to heat. Sauté garlic and ginger for about 2 minutes or until fragrant; stir in reserved soy sauce mixture. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until thickened and slightly reduced. Toss with beef and any accumulated juices. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Assembly (1 portion): Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in a small nonstick skillet over high heat. Fry 1 egg, basting with oil, for about 3 minutes or until edges are crispy and yolk is set but still runny.
- Meanwhile, spoon 1 cup (250 mL) cooked rice into a wide, shallow bowl. Top with 3 oz cooked beef mixture, 1/4 cup (60 mL) carrots, 2 tbsp (30 mL) green onions, and 1 tsp (5 mL) sesame seeds. Top with a fried egg and serve.
- Thinly sliced cucumber, sautéed greens and shaved radish are also delicious and appetizing garnish options.
- Serve over riced cauliflower as a wholesome alternative for carb-conscious diners.
Per 1 bowl (1/12 recipe)
Saturated Fat 7g
Trans Fat 0.1g