A beautifully aged steak is marinated with fresh herbs, good-quality olive oil and garlic, then seared to perfection before serving. For the ultimate in indulgence and sophistication, it’s served with a rich, velvety sauce.
Serves or Makes: 8 entrées
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes (+ 1 hour marinating time)
Marinade and Steak
|1 cup (250 mL)||Good quality olive oil|
|1/4 cup (60 mL)||Red wine vinegar|
|1 oz. (30 g)||Fresh oregano leaves, bruised|
|1 oz. (30 g)||Fresh thyme sprigs, bruised|
|10||Cloves garlic, smashed|
|1 tsp. (5 mL)||Red chili flakes (0.2 g)|
|8||Carve™ Premium Ontario Beef – Ribeye (3.5 lb/1.6 kg)|
Parmesan Cream Sauce
|1/4 cup (60 mL)||Dry white wine|
|2||Garlic cloves, smashed|
|2||Fresh bay leaves|
|1||Sprig fresh thyme (0.5 g)|
|1 tbsp. (15 mL)||Whole black peppercorns|
|1/2 tbsp. (7 mL)||Coriander seeds|
|4 cups (1 L)||35% whipping cream|
|1 cup (250 mL)||Grated Parmesan cheese (5 g)|
Assembly for each steak:
|1/4 tsp. (1 mL)||Each salt and pepper|
|2 tbsp. (30 mL)||Canola oil|
|4 tsp. (20 mL)||Unsalted butter (20 g)|
|2||Garlic cloves, smashed|
|1 tsp. (5 mL)||Fresh thyme leaves (0.2 g)|
|1/4 cup (60 mL)||Packed baby arugula (0.5 g)|
|Sides, as per service|
- Marinade and Steak: In blender, pulse oil, vinegar, oregano, thyme, garlic and chili flakes until emulsified. Pour half of the mixture into full-size deep hotel pan. Arrange steaks in single layer in pan; top with remaining marinade, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Parmesan Cream Sauce: In saucepan, combine wine, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, peppercorns and coriander seeds; cook until wine is reduced by half. Add cream; cook for 3 minutes to reduce. Stir in Parmesan.
- Assembly for Each Steak: Remove 1 steak from hotel pan, allowing excess marinade to drip off; pat dry. Season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in 8-inch (20 cm) cast iron skillet set over medium-high heat; sear steak for about 4 minutes per side or until browned. Add butter, garlic and thyme; cook, basting with pan drippings, for about 3 minutes or until medium-rare. Transfer to rack; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup (125 mL) Parmesan Cream Sauce to skillet; simmer until heated through. Slice steak and arrange on serving plate; pour sauce over top. Garnish with arugula. Serve with sides.
- Ribeye may be marinated for up to 1 day for maximum flavour.
- Serve with Mediterranean-inspired sides, such as sautéed mixed mushrooms, rosemary roasted potatoes and wilted rapini.
- For more luxurious flavour, stir 2 tbsp (30 mL) of cold butter into finished sauce.
- Steaks can also be cooked sous-vide, then pan-seared to finish.
Per 1 assembled steak with 1/2 cup (125 mL) sauce
Saturated Fat 45g
Trans Fat 1g